Cape Town Japanese

A community forum devoted to the study of the Japanese Language.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Your Kanji Method

Go down 
AuthorMessage
haku

PostSubject: Your Kanji Method   Tue May 18, 2010 4:49 pm

So.. this was bound to happen. How do you learn Kanji (if you've already started doing so)? Please post here and enlighten us with your methods.

Here's mine: My "main" studying gets done through anki (spaced repetition flashcard software). I use an excellent kanji textbook series called Kanji in Context (published by the Japan Times) which is divided into lessons of about 10 or so kanji each. The great thing about the series is that not only does it teach you vocabulary (already an improvement on Heisig imo), but it also gives you sentences in which these words are used (the "context" part) which makes the memorization of new kanji and vocabulary considerably simpler in my opinion. When I'm not cramming for exams, I try to do 1 lesson a day, first I read through the lesson and then I make flashcards in anki with all the vocabulary and sentences from the workbook. Then I let spaced repition work its magic(k).

Apart from that I have a few books and Japanese games I'm working through - reading the first Harry Potter book at the moment, which is especially fun as I've read it in three other languages already cyclops I also played Crisis Core on the psp for a bit and plan to go through some of the older Final Fantasy ROMs and perhaps Chrono Trigger too.
In my weekly Japanese lessons we tend to go through newspaper articles, which is quite a lot more difficult than any other reading I do, but with a bit of review certainly good practice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikade

PostSubject: Re: Your Kanji Method   Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Study methods for kanji? Hmm...

I've tried a variety of different approaches. But sometimes certain things get in the way.
例えば drunken Sleep study

When I first started, I used to make lists of kanji and assorted vocab and run through them many times a day. It was pretty effective in the beginning, actually, but it suffers obvious drawbacks as the number of kanji/words you want to learn increases dramatically.

After that, I tried my hand at smart.fm (and some other smaller sites most people won't have heard of), although I found the interface limiting at times, and the re-designing of the site wrecked some of my lists, which was discouraging.

I also tried working through some kanji books, which went well for a while, but my studies fell away when I became overly busy with other work.

Recently, I've moved onto anki. I had used it on and off in the past but have never had the dedication till now to stick with it every single day. I'm keeping up with reviews and it's working pretty well. I try to include a given kanji / word with a sentence so that it appears in context. That said, I find that I still learn / remember much better when I'm also doing my own behind-the-scenes work in MSWord. I organise more difficult compound kanji into groups that share the same characters / readings. For me, this cements the readings in a way I personally don't find while I'm using anki, and it seems to help when I see a new kanji with the same character, etc.

People debate the merits, but I also find using mnemonic devices quite useful...
At times, knowing the "core" meaning of basic characters from my earlier studying attempts also helps a lot. At the end of the day, the way in which I actually learn and remember kanji is an amalgamation of different, sometimes conflicting schools of thought. It's a bit messy, but not everyone learns the same, I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ステュ

PostSubject: Re: Your Kanji Method   Sun May 23, 2010 8:41 am

I bought the first Heisig book. Haven't got very far yet, because I got distracted. It seems like a good way to begin... although I'm kind of upset that one has to make up their own stories in the later parts of the book. Seems like a copout to me. Where can we get Kanji in Context? Can you guys explain Anki a bit more and where to get it? thanks! study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Your Kanji Method   Mon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm

I write them out. First in their different parts and then as a whole. And then I write them out some more. I learned the alphabet that way so maybe it works again Laughing

I also use up any left over ink or paint by practicing kanji. I don't use any software for no reason other than I like writing them by pen or brush Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nantalith.wordpress.com/
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Your Kanji Method   Wed May 26, 2010 11:26 am

ステュ wrote:
Can you guys explain Anki a bit more and where to get it? thanks! study
Anki is a flashcard program that uses spaced repetition, like smart.fm or mnemosyne to optimize your learning experience. So basically, you make or download "cards" to teach you something you want to remember (eg. vocab or a kanji) and then the program will manage these cards and show them to you in spaced intervals. The better you remember them, the longer the period before it will next show you that card.

Unlike smart.fm, with anki you can download program, which means that you don't have to wait for the server to load each item. You can also completely customize the items and the way you're studying. Anki also has a plug-in that allow you to actually download all the smart.fm material in anki format, should you desire it. If you decide to use anki as your SRS (spaced repetition system) of choice, you'll probably also want to download Japanese Support for Anki itself, too.

Getting to grips with anki can be a bit challenging at first. You might want to try smart.fm (which is a lot easier to get into) first and see how you like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikade

PostSubject: Re: Your Kanji Method   Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:58 pm

mikade wrote:
I organise more difficult compound kanji into groups that share the same characters / readings. For me, this cements the readings in a way I personally don't find while I'm using anki, and it seems to help when I see a new kanji with the same character, etc.

Kinda like this.

口田日百白自目見月明耳兄足走円画雨何同四国西図肉医一二三八人入大犬太右石友左有力九方万刀切研六立山出上土十千午牛生手天不下工止正王玉主注洋決漢住仕作行代使夜彼後借今会金虫風色台答岩品甘冬糸父五七川中文元分公心子字学安女好始妹姉車東木本体休林森夕多名外秋火弟男理野重用母水小少歩北世直前古去先売究空赤院発界早草音者考春暑愛思急意悲悪要妻嬉嫌集業夏長半来米楽青書雪電曇員買質真貸寒熱鳥黒魚海年気毎事辛南高京室家英茶花写痛病度広店屋昼声着堂週運近道送通建起題勉門問間聞閉開言試話計語読死竹校羽習良食飯飲館銀験駅新親曜映昨時持特待私社料物教族旅味知別帰場転朝服動歌地以町細紙強終

For me it helps seeing things like

先売究空
時持特待
飯飲館銀験駅
思急意悲悪要

all together because if I just see them in anki my brain recognizes a more general shape at first, and thus I can get confused if I'm not paying attention to each specific component. Having them all lined up next to each other helps me learn the differences between similar kanji more easily so that I recognize them properly and don't mistake one kanji for another.

I then also arrange lists of compounds that share radicals or characters to help learn the readings. E.g.

繰り返す くりかえす repeat
綺麗 きれい pretty
経営 けいえい management/operation
経済 けいざい economics
経験 けいけん experience
結果 けっか result
結婚 けっこん marriage
組織  そしき organization / tissue
纏める まとめる gather together/put in order
続く つづく continue
続ける つづける continue
緑 みどり greenery