Cape Town Japanese
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cape Town Japanese

A community forum devoted to the study of the Japanese Language.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

囲碁-(いご)-IGO!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon May 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Does いご count as a Japanese sport?
...This may be a similar debate as to whether chess is a sport ...(much blood has been shed)
But いご is definitely a well known Japanese competitive game! (even though it originated in China). Those who have watched and enjoyed Hikaru no Go will surely feel the same way I do about it, as frustrating as it is fascinating, and very hard to master.

I would just like to know if there's anyone on this forum who's interested in chatting, sharing tips, or maybe playing an online game :3

~トラノメ
Back to top Go down
mikade

mikade

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon May 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Well... for the purposes of this forum, let's consider it a sport! What a Face
Don't know what other section it could fall under, unless as some kind of "culture" topic. But lets keep competitive things like go in in ze sports section.

I'm interested in go, but I must admit I am a complete rookie-n00b. I downloaded a simple version of the game, but the computer always beats me by several million points. Sad In retrospect, this might have to do with me not properly understanding the game...

I'd be interested in learning more about it, though. How / where do you play online?
Back to top Go down
Chanie

Chanie

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptySun May 23, 2010 7:28 pm

I'd be interested in learning to play! wouldn't know where to start though...
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon May 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Here's a good interactive beginner's tutorial:
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyTue May 25, 2010 3:25 pm

I play. I use Pandanet or KGS to play online. Offline I use Igowin but it is only a 9x9 board.

If you want to play real people, every Tuesday at A Touch of Madness in Observatory at 19h30, the Cape Town Go Club ( SAGA ) plays. You don't have to be a member to play.
Back to top Go down
http://nantalith.wordpress.com/
mikade

mikade

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:33 am

みんな、URLが ありがとう。 Smile

Thanks for those links, everyone. I downloaded Igowin some time ago, but up till now never looked through its help / tutorial section. I guess I thought I could intuitively figure out the rules / strategy by just playing a few games against the computer AI. Rolling Eyes

Finished the Igowin tutorial, downloaded KGS client and am about 3/4 through the interactive http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ tutorial. It's quite a tricksy game, but it's interesting too, and I'm enjoying the whole learning process.

When most people play do they really use 19x19 boards? confused

I've read that's the official standard, but if the games I've played on 9x9 boards take hours, I can't imagine how long a 19x19 game must take. I suppose at this point my 9x9 games could just be overly slow because I'm a complete beginner and the people I've played with have been beginners so we're unsure and need time to think about our moves...

At any rate, I'd be keen to play some of you when I get a bit better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:48 am

どういたしまして。

Mostly people do play on 19x19. I only really play 19x19 when I play in tournaments so I end up playing rather badly as 9x9 and 19x19 can be quite different in strategy. The Cape Town Open tournament time is 45 minutes a side but seriously big games can be hours O_o

Playing 9x9 gives you skills when it comes to fighting for small territory. People usually start on 9x9, progress to 13x13 then to 19x19. But I'm lazy when it comes to 19x19 and find 9x9 games quick and fun.

Maybe we could get some of the students together for an Igo afternoon? I have some spare 9x9 boards and *cough* buttons for stones but it works out okay Laughing

In the beginning [and I'm still a beginner] just play on instinct until you can read the board better. It sounds harsh but the best way to learn is by losing. Only after falling into the traps can you see them. But that doesn't mean you won't fall into them again...

If you want to play a game on KGS, let me know and maybe we can arrange something.
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Nantalith wrote:
If you want to play real people, every Tuesday at A Touch of Madness in Observatory at 19h30, the Cape Town Go Club ( SAGA ) plays. You don't have to be a member to play.

Shocked ほんとう?
ほんとうにほんとう??

bounce It's on lower main isn't it? That place always has best and most arbitrary goodies! Could you tell me some vague directions? I'm fairly familiar with Obz but I've never heard of A Touch of Madness. Question
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:38 am

ほんとう だ! Laughing

It's in Nuttall Road, next to the Peninsula Feeding Association - big square brown brick building on the corner of Nuttall and Trill . Opposite is Pepper Square parking, the Spar backs on to the the square as well. Trill is one way down but Nattall is two way. You can either come down Trill from Lower Main or you can come from Station Road.

I'm meeting a friend for a game on 1 June so you have a little bit of an in lol!
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:08 am

buuu... got my last exam on the 1st .. and im watching a movie...
+inner conflict+ ...... I'll probably pop by with the bf for a game bounce
he's likely to be keen
... 碁サロン! 碁サロン! cheers
If you see a chick with an afro and a guy with dreads, ask for a match Wink
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:15 am

Okay - don't be surprised if a tall girl dressed in black speaks Japanese to you Laughing

Good luck with your exam - がんばって!
Back to top Go down
mikade

mikade

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:37 pm

You girls are gonna play tomorrow? >.<

I wonder if I should try come through. Don't really have transport at the moment, so I'll probably leave it. I played about forty 9x9 games this week. Probably more than was healthy, but I'm a beginner and eager to learn at this point. That said, I knew it was time to stop when I was looked at the tiled floor of my shower and thought "but where would be a good move?" pale

Nantalith wrote:
Playing 9x9 gives you skills when it comes to fighting for small territory. People usually start on 9x9, progress to 13x13 then to 19x19. But I'm lazy when it comes to 19x19 and find 9x9 games quick and fun.
Arigatou, for the info, again. After losing many games against the computer I now realize how true your words are. Smile

I managed to progress down to 15 kyuu in igowin (tho I've read the ranking are pointless), but now I'm starting to lose again. Needless to say, I still have a lot to learn. Razz

Nantalith wrote:

Maybe we could get some of the students together for an Igo afternoon? I have some spare 9x9 boards and *cough* buttons for stones but it works out okay Laughing

If you want to play a game on KGS, let me know and maybe we can arrange something.

I'd be keen, for both Wink After building a terrible board (and using shiny and non-shiny coins, lol) I taught my gf to play, and then my family and friends. I'd be interested in playing some more advanced players tho, who can hopefully tell me where I'm going wrong.

Glad the forum is helping some people, me included. bounce

Oh, and good luck with your exam toranome!
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 am

If you are keen to play tonight, Mikade, I could pick you up but it depends on where you stay Razz

Igowin is er... not viewed highly but it is a good way to learn. I have a great ranking on Igowin Laughing

Have you joined KGS?
Back to top Go down
mikade

mikade

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry, I missed your message. pale

I live in Bergvliet, if that's anywhere near you and you're gonna be going through anytime in the near future. I've registered an account on KGS (mikade) but haven't played much because everyone is million dan and would probably be highly annoyed by me sitting there thinking about my moves when to them it's obvious. Razz

After my "shiny" coins started getting "less shiny" from over-use I decided it was time to attempt my go board 2.0. What you guys think? It's still 9x9, but I'm still a n00b, so. Wink

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! 1a10
囲碁-(いご)-IGO! 1b10

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! 2a10
囲碁-(いご)-IGO! 2b10
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Fantastic!! Just like mine Laughing Those pebbles are a great option in the beginning.

BTW - The Go Club sells stones at about R200 a set. I think they are from Korea.

If you want to play on KGS, sent me a message. I'm randomly online so it's best to set a time.
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:08 pm

why are computers so strong? pig
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Where are you playing? I think on most you can select the game strength or handicap.
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:27 pm

with 3-4 stone handicap on goshrine.com, the odds are about 50-50... just frustrated with lack of progress and consistency bounce
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Oh that! Mad It's terrible - you seem to be going along at a good rate then suddenly you hit this epic wall that spans the horizon and no matter how you crane your neck, you can't see past the handicap wall...
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:47 pm

*sigh* ...i think i should just cool down and do a few exercises...there's a limit to going nowhere slowly! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 am

lol~
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:31 am

Of the forum users here, who would be interested in an Igo afternoon?
Back to top Go down
mikade

mikade

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Count me in. Very Happy I need all the practice I can get. I have a friend or two who might be interested, too, but maybe you want to keep it small-scale?
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:38 pm

It would depend on how many people are interested. But about ten would be good, I think.
Back to top Go down
toranome

toranome

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm interested!
It strongly depends on where tho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 囲碁-(いご)-IGO!   囲碁-(いご)-IGO! Empty