Cape Town Japanese
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cape Town Japanese

A community forum devoted to the study of the Japanese Language.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Compulsory Question

Go down 
+2
mikade
Henri
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Henri

Henri

Compulsory Question Empty
PostSubject: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:22 pm

What are you reading currently? I'm enjoying these right now:

• Addicted to Curry
  • AIKI
  • FMA
  • Saru Lock
  • The Breaker (Korean)
Back to top Go down
mikade

mikade

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:40 am

Nice. I hear that the FMA manga is amazing and that not reading it is punishable by death in some communities.

I'm busy reading Spice and Wolf! Progress is a little slow, but hopefully in the holidays I'll have more time to give it the justice it deserves.
Back to top Go down
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:52 am

FMA really is "all that" - though the new anime (FMA Brotherhood) does the manga great justice. It is definitely better than the original series - and the original was already great!
Back to top Go down
haku

haku

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm so boring. I just read One Piece, Naruto and Bleach every week.
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:55 am

FMA is my favourite manga. I though the first anime was okay [that was before I read the manga] but I didn't like the second one. Apparently, according to the Shounen Gangan, next month is the last Alchemist chapter - eep! But at least it will end on a high rather than dragging out the story beyond what was originally intended.

Other than that I read:

Bleach
Naruto
Break Blade
Luck Stealer
Void
Bengo!
Blazer Drive
Air Gear
Final Fantasy XII
Juushin Enbu
Kingdom Hearts
BB Project [it's French Razz ]

And I often reread:

Black Cat
Demons of Shanghai
Getbackers
Hikaru no Go
Samurai Champloo [best anime in the world]
Souten no Koumori
Stray Dog
Zombie Powder
Back to top Go down
http://nantalith.wordpress.com/
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:58 pm

@Nantalith

Did you just have a look at FMA Brotherhood - or have you been watching it all? I think Brotherhood is great, better than the first - although it takes 13 or so episodes to "catch up" to the point where the original anime diverged from the manga. So that part is a bit hastily done. After that it takes a more thorough pace and follows the manga very faithfully. I suspect at the rate at which the anime is going that it will climax just after the final manga chapter is released.
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Ah... I gave it a couple of episodes but it deviated in storyline from the manga which annoyed me. I'm not a big anime fan so when I watch an anime based off a manga, I want it to be the same storyline just in motion. The manga also holds a lot for me. I might be tempted to watch it if I had the complete series as I do enjoy the work of Bones but not really I don't think.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-06/fma-irie-confirms-animating-manga-end-in-2-months
Back to top Go down
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I think you'll be rewarded for watching then - around ep 13 or so it lays in with the manga and then keeps with it very faithfully in my opinion. And naturally they have spectacular fighting scenes.
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Arakawa has a gift for fighting scenes Laughing - her action flows across the panels smoothly, it is easy to understand and her attention to detail is superb. She and Yabuki Kentaro use great camera angles in their fight scenes and both draw action very well. They are my top mangaka.
Back to top Go down
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm

I read chapter 107 of FMA last night actually... and it is spectacular. Can't wait for the last one now.
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Absolutely!
Back to top Go down
Chanie

Chanie

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyMon May 31, 2010 2:19 pm

I read online manga quite regularly...too regularly my cap seems to think. That's why I have to stay away from those long titles...because I just KNOW I won't stop reading them until my cap dies. And then I'm a sad internetless panda for the rest of the month... Sad
I'm keeping track of Naruto, although I'm not overly impressed by it. It's entertaining enough. Don't even want to look at Bleach and One piece, because I'd have to start at 1...too much power!drunken

Hmm..I'm also keeping track of:
Skip Beat
Dengeki Daisy
XXXholic
Kimi ni Todoke
Sayounara Zetsubou sensei
Yakitate!! Japan

I've read:
Chrno Crusade
Hana Kimi
Midori no Hibi (I mean, who wouldn't be curious about a story where a guy's hand get's turned into a miniature live girl?)
NHK ni Yokoso
Zettai Kareshi

Wow. I literally went through the whole of Onemanga's list to give you that. Why have I read so little?? I need more Shocked

Any suggestions? Very Happy

pale <-- this is what my cap is feeling like now. Muhaha!
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyMon May 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Suggestions... Hmm... Black Cat, Full Metal Alchemist, Break Blade, Juushin Enbu, Blazer Drive and Air Gear.
Back to top Go down
Chanie

Chanie

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyMon May 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Oooh, I know Black Cat. I'm definitely keen to read that...wonder why I didn't think of it before...
Haven't heard of the others, but I'll give them all a try! Equality for all manga! Until after I read them Twisted Evil
I've got time now that I've finished my last exam for the semester (1 and a half hours ago Razz )
Thanks Nantalith Wink
Back to top Go down
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:17 pm

What kind of stories do you like? Genre?

It sounds like you mostly know the mangas that have animes. (Then again, so many manga have at least a partial anime adaptation...)
Back to top Go down
The|Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 10:23 am

I didnt realise that FMA manga didnt finish? hectic. so where did the first fma anime end then? and will brotherhood cover all of the manga?
Back to top Go down
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:03 pm

The FMA manga has been going on for quite a while.

The original anime followed the manga upto about episode 18ish(?) - but had then caught up with the manga and the creators decided to hire an independent author to create the story on the basis of the first part of the story. In other words, the original anime follows a completely original story after about episode 18ish(?).

The actual manga has been continuing since that forking happened in the first anime - and is about to receive its final and last chapter this month! Brotherhood accurately follows the manga (the fork from the original anime happens at about episode 13 in Brotherhood) and will be finishing next month. Brotherhood will cover all of the manga.
Back to top Go down
Chanie

Chanie

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Aaah~ I want to read FMA! I know I'll be tripley tempted once that final chapter comes out, because it marks a definite end.

Since I last posted here, I've finished Hikaru no Go (all 194 chapters of it) in a relatively short time I think. I just couldn't stop O_O. Now I have to be careful with how I spend my cap! Sigh. Isn't there a way around this? I should get that 'uncapped' stuff thats out there What a Face yeeah.

@ Henri: I seem to go for manga I know..and I know them from the anime I see mostly, I guess Razz although, for most of the one's I have read, I've only seen one, maybe two, episodes of the anime. I'm up for something interesting! if I don't like it after the first couple of chapters, I move onto the next one. I'm open-minded and ruthless that way Cool
Back to top Go down
Henri

Henri

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:02 am

@Chanie: so what kind of anime do you enjoy? I'll see if I can suggest some manga along those lines then Smile
Back to top Go down
Nantalith

Nantalith

PostSubject: Re: Compulsory Question   Compulsory Question EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:07 am

@ Chanie: I have some completed manga I can put on a CD for you. I'll list all I have and if you want any, let me know.

Black Cat
Death Note
Demons of Shanghai
Foo Fighter Fuji [oneshot]
Hello Baby [oneshot]
Hikaru no Go
Rust Blaster
Souten no Koumori [oneshot]
Stray Dog [oneshot]
Tales of Symphonia
Trigun + Maximum
Zombie Powder